Delicious Chili Fresco
I love building flavor and utilizing fresh ingredients as much as possible. This chili recipe came from a random trip to the grocery store on a cold winter day... as most should right! I do not have many photos because it was pre-blog life but I can say that left overs did not last long at all!!
Alright! Let's get cookin' and spend some thyme together ya'll! Per the usual I included the basic ingredients you need for this recipe, the ingredients I used, and directions to follow along. If you modified something, then skip that step or replace the step with your own ingredient!
Delicious Chili Fresco
Thyme For Mine | Make it With Me:
1 Jalapeno Pepper
1 Poblano Pepper (sub Hungarian Hot Wax)
1 Red Fresno (sub Hungarian Hot Wax)
1 1.5 lb Package Mixed Cherry Tomatoes
1 29oz Can Tomato Sauce, no salt added
1 29oz Can Kitchen Cut or Crushed Tomatoes
1 LB Ground Beef
1 Large Sweet Onion, md rough chopped
2-3 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper, md rough chopped
1 Orange Bell Pepper, md rough chopped
1 Can Red Kidney Beans
1 Can Pinto Beans
1 Can Black Beans
2 Dried Cascabel Peppers (crushed)
1 TBSP French Thyme
1 TBSP Granulated Garlic
1 TBSP Bavarian Seasoning
1 TBSP Fenugreek
1 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Smoked Paprika
2 TBSP Cumin
1 TSP Cinnamon
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Apple Grated
TIP: Cook everything in either a large dutch oven or slow cooker, may be easier to use a pan for browning etc.
1. Heat large pan or dutch oven on medium high heat
2. Add olive oil and brown ground beef.
3. Add Salt, Pepper, and Bavarian seasoning to taste.
4. Once browned, remove beef to paper towel leaving some oil in the pan.
5. Lower heat to low medium and add tomatoes to pan to blister.
6. Roast peppers on open flame to release oils
TIP: Use tongs…do not touch if you can help it!
7. Remove tomatoes and peppers and allow to cool
8. Add chopped onion, pepper and garlic to pan and cook until softened and translucent
9. Once cooled, use paper towel to remove blackened skin on peppers, remove seeds, and finely chop
10. Blend tomatoes in blender or squish with potato masher to break up skin and meat
TIP: If you like it HOT and you are using a blender, add a few of the pepper seeds….but be careful or you will need a fire hose later
11. Add all ingredients to dutch oven or slow cooker (if not already using it to cook)
12. Cook on high for 1 hour
13. Reduce heat to low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally
TIP: If making while at work, skip the 1 hour high and just cook 8 hours on low
14. Serve with your favorite toppings, I like cheddar, creamy avocado sour cream, scallions, and a cheesy drop biscuit!